Northowram Scarecrow Event Committee Meeting

11th October 2016 At The Shoulder Of Mutton

MINUTES

Present:           Steve Amos (SA)                                Alison (MacGrath) Priestley (AMP)

                        Andrea Collingwood                           Richard Priestley (RP)

Steve Collingwood (SC)                      Molly J Varley (MJV)  

Sheila Hewitt (SH)                               Sara Ward (SW)

                        Ian Marshall (IM)                                  Emma Whelan (EW)

                                                                                   

 

Apologies:  Jan Burrell (JB), Peter Caffrey (PC), Lynn Jagger (LJ), David Robinson (DR,) Rachel Robinson (RR)

 

Absent:  Leanne Watson (LW)

 

Item

Notes

Action

1.

See Present and Apologies list above.

 

 

2.

a.         The Minutes and Matters Arising from the meeting on 9th August were approved with one amendment to the venues visited hosting scarecrow festivals.   It was noted that the AGM notes had been recorded and would be posted to Northowram.org following this meeting.

b.         Matters Arising from the minutes of 9th August meeting:-

i) Raffle – SH was still in the process of raffling unclaimed prizes.  This would be progressed.

ii) AED – This was now complete.  The AED had been situated outside the library.  It had been publicised on the “What’s On” in Northowram Facebook page and the Halifax Courier would be contacted to write a piece on this for the paper.  IM to re-submit a correct invoice to the Committee for the agreed funding.

iii) It was agreed not to pursue the idea for a caravan flag and the matter was agreed closed.

v) It was agreed that theScarecrow fund would consider a bid for the replacement of the bench opposite the library but the members of the community who wanted it replaced should take this forward through the bid process MJV to discuss this with the members of the community who raised this issue.

c.         “Sponsored by Northowram Scarecrow Event” plaques are required for             successful bids.

 

3.         Risk Assessment – Public Liability Insurance - This item would be included on the Agenda at the January 2017 meeting.  It was agreed that the Committee needed to decide what events running over the weekend needed to be covered separately to events being run by specific businesses who would have their own insurance.

Any Other Business

a.         It was noted that £55 had been raised from the auction of Wallace and Gromit.

b.         SC had received positive feedback regard the website he was developing and it was hoped to go live with this in January 2017.  AMP to send SC the Scarecrow logo.

 

 

 

EW

 

 

SH

 

 

 

 

IM

 

Statement

 

 

 

 

MJV

 

AMP

 

 

 

EW/SA

 

 

 

 

Statement

 

 

AMP

3.

Voting In Of New Members

Jonny Jowett (JJ) and Ann-Marie Luther (AML) had resigned from the Committee and thanks was extended to them for all their help.  It was hoped that AML would continue, as a volunteer, to help with the judging of the annual dog show – Who is liaising with AML on this subject?

 

Andrea Collingwood (AC) and Sara Ward (SW) had been proposed and voted on to the Committee.  An updated list of Committee Members and their roles is attached as Appendix 1 to these Minutes.

 

 

 

Statement

 

 

 

 

Statement

4.

Remembrance Service

This would take place at the village Memorial on 11th November at 11.00 a.m.  John Hoggard would lead the proceedings and arrange the wreaths for the service.  MJV to liaise with John.  MJV had submitted two poems with the suggestion of one of them being read out at the service.  AMP to send to Dan Lomas at Northowram School to inform him of the plans for the service so that some of the children could attend and to ask if one of the children could read the poem.  AMP also to liaise with James Shepherd regarding the band attending and playing.  PC to be asked to speak to the Council regarding tidying the area and ensuring no interruptions occur when the service is in process.  An update on proceedings to be discussed as an agenda item at the November meeting.

 

 

 

MJV

 

AMP

 

AMP

PC

5.

Christmas Lights Event

A date for the event had been suggested as Friday 25th November.  Ideas of a sweet and plant stall were discussed.  Also the possibility of collection buckets.  AMP to source buckets. 

Š       AMP to liaise with James Shepherd to confirm the date, his ideas and how to advertise the event. 

Š       MJV to speak to Rob Paxman to confirm if the choir could come and sing. 

Š       IM to try and speak to Lizzie Jones/Pulse Radio presenter to see if either could be present to switch on the lights.  Item to be added to the Agenda for the November meeting.

 

 

 

 

AMP

AMP

 

MJV

IM

6.

Straw Race

SW gave a presentation on the proposal for a Straw Race event for the next Scarecrow Festival.  All agreed that the idea has good potential.  SW to come back to the next meeting with agreement/buy in from the local pubs and Robinsons Farm regarding starting points, support and support from voluntereers to help with the race.  To be added to the Agenda for the November meeting.

 

 

SW

7.

Any Other Business

Scarecrow Plaques – AMP to follow this up as soon as possible.

 

Christmas Do – A date of 12th December was agreed.  EW to book venue and arrange.

 

RP/EW to draft an action plan for the next Scarecrow Festival, incorporating lessons learned from this year’s event and ownership of events to be run in 2017.  This would be added to the Agenda for the November meeting.

 

 

AMP

 

EW

 

 

RP/EW

6.

Date And Time Of Next Meetings

Š      Tuesday 8th November 2016 at 7.30pm at Northowram Club

Š      Tuesday 10th January 2017 at 7.30pm at The Shoulder of Mutton

Š      Tuesday 14th February 2017 at 7.30pm at Northowram Club

Š      Tuesday 14th March 2017 at 7.30pm at The Shoulder of Mutton

Š      Tuesday 11th April 2017 at 7.30pm at Northowram Club

Š      Tuesday 18th April 2017 at 7.30pm at The Shoulder of Mutton

Š      Tuesday 25th April 2017 at 7.30pm at Northowram Club

2017 Scarecrow Event Saturday 29th, Sunday 30th April and Monday 1st May

Š      Tuesday 9th May 2017 at 7.30pm at The Shoulder of Mutton

Š      Tuesday 11th July  2017 7.00 Bids Subgroup meets-Northowram Club (Subject to Change)

Š      Tuesday 11th July  2017 at 7.30pm at Northowram Club

Š      Tuesday 8th August 2017 at 7.30pm at The Shoulder of Mutton

Tuesday 12th September 2017 at 7.30pm AGM at Northowram Club

 

 

 

Appendix 1

 

NORTHOWRAM SCARECROW COMMITTEE MEMBERS AND ROLES

2016/2017

 

Name

Role

Richard Priestley

Chair

Steve Collingwood

Vice Chair/Joint Treasurer

Molly Varley

Joint Treasurer/St Matthew’s Church Rep/Joint Raffle Co-ordinator

Alison MacGrath-Priestley

Secretary

Emma Whelan

Minutes and Agendas/Childrens Games

Steve Amos

Health and Safety

Jan Burrell

Northowram Club Rep

Peter Caffrey

Local Authority Link

Andrea Collingwood

Communications Lead

Sheila Hewitt

Shoulder of Mutton

Lynn Jagger

Riding School

Ian Marshall

Boundary Run/Northowram Sports Club Rep

David Robinson

Robinsons Farm Shop

Rachel Robinson

Robinsons Farm Shop

Sara Ward

Joint Raffle Co-ordinator and assisting the Secretary with Newsletter (with a view taking this role over in the future)

Leanne Watson

Children’s Games Co-ordinator