Notes of Northowram Scarecrow Festival Committee meeting

The Shoulder of Mutton – 18th December 2012

 

Present:

Name:

Initials:

 

Andy Garrett

Sally Garrett

Jonny Jowett

Mike Turner

Richard Priestley

Sarah Priestley

Sheila Hewitt

Dave Midgley

Peter Caffrey

Lynn Jagger

AG

SG

JJ

MT

ERP

SP

SH

DM

PC

LJ

 

Attending:

J Hoggard Royal British Legion  

Jonathan Mitchell

JH

JM

           

Agenda item no:

 

Notes:

 

Action:

1.

Apologies:-

Alison MacGrath Priestley

Steve Amos

Andrea Warrington?

 

 

2. a)

Notes from meeting 13th November 2012 – approved

 

 

2. b)

Matters arising:–

a)    Northowram Club to be represented by Dave & Jan Burrell.

b)    App development: memory stick prepared for inclusion on website.

c)    Village Society: SG, SP & ERP to attend next meeting 28th Nov re Village Green.

d)    Car Boot Sale: Agreed to include in schedule of events for weekend. 

e)    Volunteers: AMP & SA to do further research. PS to approach Scout leaders to act as volunteers.  Disclaimer to be drafted by AMP

f)      School Input: SP updated on willingness of school to be involved.  She will speak to Head before next meeting to get agreement for her to work with arts and crafts group in school to design and construct scarecrows.

g)    Paul Slade from the Scouts to be invited to attend future meetings 

 

 

AMP actioned

 

On going

 

Actioned

Shoulder as venue

 

On-going

AMP

 

Fine with school

 

SG

3.

The Chair deferred his report to allow for an indepth discussion on the war memorial as RBL President attending.

 

4.

The Chair welcomed Mr Hoggard, President of the local Royal British Legion attending the meeting to clarify the local RBL position.  SG had contacted the National RBL as unaware of local contact details.  JH clarified the RBL does not approve or disprove war memorials.  

Draft plans for the memorial were shared with JH  and he stated that whilst the RBL support the erection of a war memorial they cannot provide any financial support or ratify wording for the memorial.  Three options for the design of the memorial have been submitted.  ERP to scan and circulate to committee members.  Choice to be made at next meeting and chosen option then to be put out to consultation. Marshalls thanked for agreeing to provide stone and transportation.

 

JH stated that there was a war memorial at St Mathews Church and the grass area by the church was designated as a garden of remembrance.  He asked if Armistice Day could be celebrated at the new memorial in future rather than at one of the churches in the village as this would be more inclusive for the community.  JH will provide local contact and link in nationally for the future SH to be the contact for the committee.

 

SG thanked JH for attending and for RBL support with the planned memorial.  Further discussion to be itemised on agenda for January meeting.   

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ERP & SG

 

 

 

 

 

 

SH

 

All to note

 

 

 

AMP

5.

a) App development ongoing.  SG to provide usb stick and to develop a registration form that includes permission for pin-points on app to scarecrows. Suggestion that one price covers businesses for like to their own websites.

b) JJ & AG have done all three routes.  AG to provide questions for every route.  Hard copies to shops/businesses and shopkeepers to point out where they are on the map.

c) Village Society meeting attended – feedback deferred to next meeting.

d) Volunteers – deferred to next meeting as AMP no present

e) School in-put – on-going.

 

 

 

SG

 

 

AG

 

AMP

AMP

SP

6.

 

Time-line regularly updated – ERP to update and bring to next meeting.

 

ERP

7.

Three legged walk – on Monday and advertise better.  Scarecrow in wheelbarrow for 3 legged walk.  Sub group to be set up to lead on this - PC and JM nominated.

 

 

PC & JM

8.

Any other business:-

a)    Peter Caffrey emailed last years letter for businesses to be adapted for this years event.

b)    St Mathew’s Church can only do Sunday this year for cake stalls – do we need another venue?

 

 

AG & SG

9.

Date, Time and Venue of next meeting:

 

Tuesday 15th January 2013, 7.30pm at The Yew Tree.

 

 

All to note